Traditional Zimbabwe Recipes and those using ingredients available in Zimbabwe. A Truly African recipe collection. What are Zimbabwe recipes? Cuisine from a mixture of cultures both African and European. Enjoy this collection - which uses available ingedients.
Tuesday, 13 April 2010
Red Pepper Soup
3 tablespoons butter or margarine 4 medium red bell peppers -- seed, cut in strips (add a chilli if you like it hot)
1 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable stocksalt
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper -- to tastesour cream
1. In a 3-quart saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add peppers.
2. Cover; cook peppers over medium heat until tender, about 8 minutes.
3. Pour peppers and liquid into a food processor or blender (if you use a blender, you may have to process in 2 batches). Process 2 minutes.
4. Return soup to pan and add stock. Season to taste with salt and cayenne pepper; heat until hot.
5. Serve soup with a dollop of sour cream on top, or thin sour cream with milk or water and swirl it into soup. Do not stir.
Makes 4 cups.
* Timesaver Tip: Soup can be prepared through step 4 up to 3 days ahead and stored, covered, in refrigerator. To serve, heat and complete step 5.