Thursday 11 June 2009

Sundried Tomatoes

As usual we have a glut of tomatoes and having made tomato sauces and eaten tomatoes till they come out of our ears I had to think of something different.
I sun dried them in the Microwave!
Worked really well - I did not get the usual leathery product but a dry fully flavoured product.
You can use any tomatoes you have and I used a mixture of plum, ordinary round and cherry varieties. You can add whole garlic cloves or a sprig of rosemary for extra flavour.
This is what I did - placed them in one layer in a Pyrex dish and microwaved for 10 minutes at 720 power. i then drained off the excess liquid (kept that for cooking) and put them back for about 5 minutes.
I then turned them over and microwaved for another 5 minutes.
They were just starting to get leathery at this point - I left them for 5 minutes to cool down then put them into a jar with olive and sunflower oil mixed.

No comments:

Post a Comment